RECICLAR ENCAJA-MEDELLÍN, COLOMBIA
#201 - RECICLAR ENCAJA EN MEDELLÍN - PROYECTO DE RECOLECCIÓN Y RECICLAJE, COLOMBIA
Reciclar en Caja is a new project in Medellin, Colombia, to increase the recovery and recycling rate of post consumer beverage cartons (herein, UBC). The project is led by TetraPak, under the company Circular Economy Strategy. Within the strategy, there are 4 main objectives to boost the UBC recovery and recycling:
- Increase consumer awareness about the packaging recyclability
- Support and design curbside collection schemes to support recovery
- Optimize recycling value chain, increasing the price per ton (UBC)
- Close the cycle with end market products from recycled material
- The communication campaign to increase consumer awareness focus on social media campaigns with commercial partners of TetraPak and label communication to increase consumer awareness about the UBC.
- Use of a mobile map that can be downloaded by residents. The app contains educational material regarding material recyclability and waste segregation. Moreover, through the app residents can communicate with waste picker associations that are part of the program to request an “in-demand” collection (apart from the curbside collection already taking place)
The project participates in the 3R Initiative as a pilot project, with a view of seeking certification to Verra's Plastic Waste Reduction Standard.
USE OF PROCEEDS
- Collection infrastructure (Balers, motocars)
- Research and Development: new products with a higher value price
- App development
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Working closely with our customers, we make food safe and available, everywhere. We want to remain a truly competitive company that's fit for the future in an increasingly challenging environment. Tetra Pak is one of three companies in the Tetra Laval Group – a private group that started in Sweden. The other two companies are DeLaval and Sidel. Tetra Laval is headquartered in Switzerland.
Since Tetra Pak started in 1951 we have taken pride in providing the best possible processing and packaging solutions for food.
Antioquia / Colombia
Collection / Sorting / Recycling
Tons Per Year: 740